Mindfulness-Based Cognitive Therapy
Toronto Anxiety & Depression Treatment Program
Mindfulness-Based Cognitive Therapy (MBCT)
Sunday Evenings 6pm-8:30pm, October 15 – December 3, 2017
8 weekly sessions of 2.5 hours each
Location 475 Coburn Avenue (between Greenwood and Coxwell)
Facilitators: Dr. Amanda Guthrie, ND, RP and Dr. Tatiana Dimov, MD
Fee: $480 (covered by most insurance plans)
To register please email: email@example.com
Who will benefit: Individuals experiencing moderate stress, anxiety, low mood or depression and people with a history of depression.
What you’ll learn: Skills and practices to manage depression, anxiety and prevent relapse.
About the program:
- Mindfulness-Based Cognitive Therapy (MBCT) is an evidence-based group therapy for preventing depressive relapse. It also reduces acute depression, anxiety and stress.
- Mindfulness is a non-judgmental way of paying attention to the present moment.
- Cognitive Behaviour Therapy is designed to bring awareness to the habitual negative thinking that leads to depressive and anxious spirals.
- Combined, MBCT interrupts how we habitually react to situations, so we can choose to respond in more skillful ways.
- Research has demonstrated MBCT is as effective as antidepressants in the prevention of depressive relapse or recurrence. (Kuyken, 2008)
Studies show that 60 to 90 percent of healthcare visits are due to stress-related illnesses. Stress is a profound cause of illness that requires holistic treatment solutions.
- How do you know if stress is negatively affecting you?
- You feel overwhelmed by everyday life
- You feel weak and tired
- You’ve gained weight around your mid-section (“belly fat”)
- You over-eat or under-eat when you’re emotional
- You’re constantly worrying
Since stress has such far-reaching effects on our health, it’s important to address it now before it leads to more serious illness down the road. Click here to watch video.
[youtube id=”Ir6asAKv2Ho” width=”600″ height=”350″ autoplay=”no” api_params=””]
Our individualized Stress Management Program will help you feel more balanced and better able to manage the stress in your daily life. This program incorporates healthy eating, mental/emotional counselling, appropriate herbal medicines and nutritional supplements, physical activity and relaxation techniques. This program is an integral part of treating stress, anxiety, insomnia, depression, digestive concerns, chronic pain, high blood pressure and heart disease.
Dr. Guthrie’s approach to Stress Management is modeled after the clinical programs of the Benson-Henry Institute for Mind Body Medicine affiliated with the Harvard Medical School combined with Mindfulness-Based Therapies and Cognitive Behavioural Therapy.